Office: ESB 2013-1 Phone:
6339 Stores Road, Vancouver, B.C., V6T 1Z4
Education BSc (Botany & Zoology) University of Cape Town, South Africa (1992-1994) BSc Honours (Marine Science) Rhodes University, South Africa (1995) MSc (Marine Science) Rhodes University, South Africa (1998-2000) Work Experience 2004 Australian Antarctic Division, Australia. Plankton biologist. 2002 - 2004 University of Tasmania, Australia. Research Assistant, Abalone Section, Tasmanian Aquaculture & Fisheries Institute, Marine Research Laboratory. 2001 University of Tasmania, Australia. Research Assistant. Zoology Department. 2000 University of Cape Town, South Africa. Research Assistant, Geology Department. Marine Science Voyages 1996, 1998, 1999 & 2000. Voyages to the Prince Edward Islands (April-May) on board the "SA Agulhas" with the South African National Antarctic Program and the Southern Ocean Group (Rhodes University) 2003. Voyage to Antarctica (Sept - Nov) on board the "Aurora Australis" with the Australian Antarctic Division and the Univeristy of Tasmania. 2005. Voyage to Antarctica (Nov 2005 - Jan 2006) on board the "Polarstern" with the Alfred Wagner Institute and the University of British Columbia.
My principal area of interest in marine science is invertebrate biology and ecology. My research interests include distribution, age and growth, reproduction, feeding biology and trophic interactions of marine invertebrates. My PhD aims to develop a quantitative mass-balanced model of the South African sub-Antarctic Prince Edward Island (Southern Ocean) ecosystem, combining data from stable isotope ratios with historical data on the biology, ecology and physical oceanography.
- Hunt, B.P.V., Gurney L.J. and Pakhomov E.A. (2008) Time series analysis of hydrological and biological variability on the Prince Edward Island (Southern Ocean) shelf. Polar Biology 31: 893-904.
- Hunt, B.P.V. and Gurney L.J. (2007) Biology of pelagic tunicates in the Lazarev Sea. Reports on Polar and Marine Research 568:58-63.
- Gurney L.J., Mundy, C., Porteus, M.C. (2005) Determining age and growth of abalone using stable oxygen isotopes: A tool for fisheries management. Fisheries Research 72: 353-360.
- Swadling K.M., Ritz D.A., Nicol S., Osborn J.E., Gurney L.J. (2005) Respiration rate and cost of swimming for Antarctic krill, Euphausia superba, in large groups in the laboratory. Marine Biology 146: 1169-1175.
- Gurney L.J. and Mundy C.M. (2004) Reproductive biology: Identifying spawning cycles in the genus Haliotis. Technical Report Series, Tasmanian Aquaculture and Fisheries Institute, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, 22 December 2004.
- Gurney L.J., Froneman P.W., Pakhomov E.A. & McQuaid C.D. (2002) Diel feeding patterns and daily ration estimates of three subantarctic euphausiids in the vicinity of the Prince Edward Islands (Southern Ocean) Deep-Sea Research II 49: 3207-3227.
- Froneman P.W., Pakhomov E.A., Gurney L.J., Hunt B.P.V. (2002) Predation impact of carnivorous macrozooplankton in the vicinity of the Prince Edward Island Archipelago (Southern Ocean) in austral autumn 1998. Deep-Sea Research II 49: 3243 – 3254.
- Gurney L.J., Froneman P.W., Pakhomov E.A. & McQuaid C.D. (2001) Trophic position of three euphausiid species from the Prince Edward Islands (Southern Ocean): Implications for the pelagic food web structure. Marine Ecology Progress Series 217: 167 – 174.
- Pakhomov, E.A., Hunt B.P.V. & Gurney L.J. (2000) The fifth cruise of the Marion Island Oceanographic Survey (MIOS V), April to May 2000. South African Journal of Science 96:1-3.
- Perissinotto R., Gurney L. and Pakhomov E.A. (2000) Contribution of heterotrophic material to the diet and energy budget of Antarctic krill, Euphausia superba. Marine Biology 136:129-135.
- Pakhomov E.A., Ansorge I.J., McQuaid C.D., Kohrs S., Waldron H., Hunt B., Gurney L., Kaehler S., Lawrie S., Held C. & Machu E. (1999). The fourth cruise of the Marion Island Oceanographic Survey (MIOS 4), April to May 1999. South African Journal of Science 95: 420-422.