CWSEI Science Teaching and Learning Fellow
Science & Geoscience Education, Applied Geophysics
Office: EOS-South 361 Phone: 604-822-2138
Personal Website: http://www.eos.ubc.ca/%7Efjones/fjhome.html
1995-2007: Lecturer in geophysics & research scientist with the UBC-GIF, Dep't of Earth and Ocean Sciences, UBC.
1990-1995: Consultant; geophysics for environmental, engineering and mineral exploration.
1988-1990: Instrumentation development engineer (multichannel full waveform DC / IP receiver), White Geophysical Ltd.
1981-1983: Oil and gas well-logging engineer, Computalog Gearhart Ltd., Calgary, Alta.
- UBC Faculty Certificate on Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (2002).
- P.Eng, registered professional engineer in British Columbia.
- M.Sc., (Geophysics and Glaciology)1987University of British Columbia.
- B.Eng., (Electrical) 1980, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Improving courses, curriculum,and instructor practices using proven pedagogies.
- Measuring geoscience learning and scientific thinking in undergraduate courses.
- Fine tuning Team Based Learning (TBL) for use in earth science courses.
- Using EOS courses to increase science literacy among non-science students.
- Helping with transfer of technology from geophysics research into industry practice.